Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Iced Cacao Nib Latte


When I started drinking coffee in high school, I loved Starbucks mocha frappuccinos. I stopped drinking the frappuccinos when I went vegan, because the frappuccino mix contained milk.

When I was experimenting with adding chocolate to my Greek Frappe, I ended up making something that reminded me of a Starbucks frappuccino. It's not blended, but the coldness and the chocolate and sweetened coffee flavor reminded me of a frappuccino.

The cacao nibs add a nice texture and subtle chocolate flavor. If you do not have cacao nibs, just substitute in some dark chocolate, like dark chocolate chips or a square of dark chocolate.

Recipe: Mocha Frappuccino?

For Coffee Part:
  • 2 teaspoons instant coffee (I used Mount Hagen, decaf.)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons hot water
Whisk until golden brown and creamy. I whisk by hand and it takes a few minutes.

For Milk Part:
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons raw shelled sunflower seeds (or raw cashews, almonds, whatever you have)
  • 1.5 teaspoons cacao nibs (sub chocolate chips or dark chocolate square)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend water and sunflower seeds until smooth. Strain with a fine mesh sieve. Add back to the blender with cacao nibs and vanilla extract. Blend again for a few seconds or so.

Put it all together:

Fill a glass 3/4 with ice. Add milk mixture, then coffee mixture. Stir with a straw or spoon and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment